February 24, 2012
Webster University unveiled their new campus master plan to the community this week. The plan was developed by Sasaki Associates, a Boston-area firm that does a lot of university campus planning.
The plan projects increasing the undergraduate student body from 3,000 to 5,000.
Steve Strang, senior project manager at Webster, outlined a number of building projects including:
• A new 80,000 square foot interdisciplinary science building north and east of The Rep Theatre and the addition of 145 parking spaces near the current garage.
• A new quadrangle adjoining the science building.
• The arts building would be reconfigured or replaced.
• A new student center near the southeast corner of Big Bend and Edgar Road
• Exploration of solutions for pedestrian/car traffic clashes at Edgar Road and Garden Street.
Strang said that while the university still has the rights to develop the Eden Seminary campus across Big Bend, there are no firm plans at this point. Anything would have to go before the Webster Groves city plan commission, which previously rejected a proposal to build a $10 million science building there.